Thursday, October 11, 2012

Notes on Tsuru

Tsuru is a japanese word for Crane. Appropriate for a Crane Wife story.

There are some versions where the protagonist is a bastard, some where the animal spirit has been trapped, but a lot of the stories from Japan that I'd read would just evoke an emotion, without there being a real hero or villian. Just an 'ah' as you feel the emotion.

Naming is important in folklore, as it is in the world. When we name something, our minds naturally chart all the things associated with that name, and put them together. It's why words like 'cross' 'flag' 'patriot' 'faggot' are loaded with so much more than the objects or concepts those names represent. When I was young, my birth name got associated with a whole lot of negativity. I couldn't hear my name without feeling the definition I'd built for myself. So I created a new name. And with the dawn of the internet, that name spread and grew. Naming is a big part of this story. The name forces a perception, an identity, but that perception isn't the truth.The people you know are your perceptions of them. I think true love comes from being able to go past that perception and embrace the whole person.

The biggest thanks goes to Brenda Kelly, our reader for this week. I've known Brenda all my adult life, and she's an incredibly gifted and skilled performer. It's been a pleasure to work with her, and I hope to have her for future Burnham projects. I hope you enjoy her performances on Episodes 10 and 11.


No comments:

Post a Comment